An essay, defined as an intellectual, opinionated article, should feature several characteristics in order to be called “good”. These characteristics include the following: good exposition, narration, or description; proper Grammar and word usage; aesthetics; and organization.
Organization is essential to your essay because it affects the other factors. If your essay is organized, your exposition, narration, or description would make more sense. Also, Grammatical and lexical usage can either be highlighted by good organization or exacerbated by a bad one.
Here are some tips that will help you organize your thoughts in writing essays.
1. Create an outline. Creating an outline is like making a skeleton of the article. By doing so you are already creating the sequence of ideas, which you can eventually make into sentences. A logical sequence is one of the characteristics of a well-organized essay. Apart from this, an outline will help you discern if the ideas you plan on putting in your essay is actually significant to your exposition, description, or narration.
2. Have at least three (3) parts of the essay. An essay has an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. The introduction serves as the general discussion of the theme of the essay and the specific topic for discussion. The body is where the points for discussions are placed. The conclusion terminates the essay. Arranging your ideas – and thus your essay – in this manner will create a more organized presentation of ideas.
3. Have one paragraph in the body for every point you wish to make. This ensures that the explanation for each points are not jammed together and are discussed separately. For instance, if you are tasked to write the advantages of modern technology and you are able to enumerate three benefits, you may discuss these advantages in three different paragraphs.
4. Make use of transition words. Transition words are essential to provide logical sequencing in a paragraph and article. For instance, the use of “first”, “next”, “before”, “after” and “during” can show the logical progression of any process. These words also show the chronological order of ideas. Both orders are important in narration, exposition, and even description. Transition words are definitely essential to keeping your thoughts organized.
5. Follow the inverted pyramid format. In news writing, following this format meant starting with the most important idea and ending in the least significant. In essays, you can use this format to mean a general to specific discussion of the topic. By writing this way, you are making sure that your thoughts lead to a specific idea that would back up a general topic.