Essay writing evaluates how well a person can express his or her own points of view through written text. The problem with essay writing is that some people find it difficult to create sentences from their ideas that would clearly state their opinions. The manner of how one can come up with good structured sentences and flow in an essay is one skill that should be learned and practiced as often as possible to write effective essays. If you are taking the IELTS or the International English Language Testing System writing exam, writing discussion essays can be a part of the task.
Discussion essays are the type of composition wherein you, as the candidate, will write a full-length text that will describe and explain given opinions and write your personal viewpoints at the end. This means to say that you will be presented with ideas and have to organize these efficiently to have a good output. How can you write an outline for this type of essay?
In any essay, you will need to have four different paragraphs. These paragraphs will contain specific details that will effectively communicate the ideas in written text.
- Background of the statement that is based on the topic given
- Detailed background information
- Points of view of the topic to be discussed in the essay
FIRST BODY PARAGRAPH
- State the first point of view given
- Write examples to support this point of view. This will provide strong points to the given opinion.
SECOND BODY PARAGRAPH
- State the second opinion given
- Make this point stronger by providing examples.
- Restate the points of view given by paraphrasing them. Paraphrasing is writing a sentence into another one using different vocabulary and sentence structure with the same meaning.
- State which point of view YOU are more favoured with.
- Write a recommendation or a prediction to close the essay.
Writing an outline before you start writing an essay creates a smooth flow to your ideas. With an outline, you will have an idea to where the points of view should be placed. Remember that you should not confuse your reader. Additionally, when writing an essay, be sure to use the proper transition words to show changes in the ideas.
If you want to know more on how to write effective essays, visit the web and search for sample entries. Better yet, enrol in an IELTS writing program in the nearest IELTS review centers near you.
Read more IELTS tips here: www.ieltsexamstips.com